People take to the streets in Minneapolis.
Trace Ellis Ross faces her dreams in the role of Grace Davis.
iMadameJay published May 27...start from the front #tip #iMadameJay
DiscoveringNatural published May 24…retaining moisture starts with proper cleansing #DiscoveringNatural
I have three teenagers conceived with the help of one man. Two-thirds of our teenagers will be attending two different colleges in two different states with the assistance of thousands of federally-funded, bank-funded and hard earned dollars.
In the Book of Numbers, God tells Moses to take a census of every male of the children of Israel according to their families and their purpose.
Every person matters to God. We are His wonderful creations. He knows our name. He knows our purpose and everything about us.
New Natural Hair Video
Numbers matter. NaturallyGG celebrates their 100th video! We thank them for enlightening our natural hair journey with their radiant smiles and healthy hair tips.
Yoga is a union of body, mind, and spirit. It brings balance. It becomes a part of your physical life as your body grows stronger, more toned, and more flexible as we flow from one Asana to another.
It becomes a part of your mental life as you focus on breathing while you hold each asana. This awareness is calming and it dissolves stress and axiety. It becomes a part of your spiritual life as it teaches self love and in return you spread love to others around you.
Why do we say Namaste? It’s a way to send out positive vibrations into the universe. The word expresses gratitude, gives closure, expresses relief, but it’s also a conduit to something greater. It represents a union. A connection that transcends language and culture. It’s an acknowledgement of the soul in another. We are all one when we live from the heart.
Since my last post, I’ve run my first marathon, teamed up with my longtime friend/boss Yoga instructor for weekly inspiration and I’ve committed to making one meatless dish a week. Whew…..
My first marathon held in Lafayette, La back in March
Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Avocado-Lime Sauce
Crispy Black Bean Tacos:
Avocado Lime Sauce:
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded if desired
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
For the tacos:
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add two tortillas to the skillet and allow them to heat in the oil for about 10 seconds.
- Cover one side of each tortilla with 1/4 cup of beans, and top beans with 1 tablespoon Mexican Cheese Blend.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold the tortilla in half, on top of itself and press down with the spatula to shape the taco.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, then using a spatula flip the tacos and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Continue the process until all the tacos are done, adding additional oil as the pan dries out.
- Serve immediately.
For the sauce:
1. Add all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
“You have to love yourself because no amount of love from others is sufficient to fill the yearning that your soul requires from you.”-Dodinsky
New Natural Hair Videos
My Natural Sistas shows us how to create a classy updo/
Juicesandberries uses avocado, an egg, honey, Jamaican Black Castor oil, Olive and Lavender oil to give her hair a shiny healthy finish.
Governor Nathan Deal declared Feb 3rd as Falcons Day so teachers, students and fans statewide sported their team colors and Falcon gear.
Curls and Couture shows us a colorful way to brighten our hair.
Juiceandberries takes us through her easy wash-n-go routine step by step.
Honestly Erica is brilliant at keeping it simple and honest. Her 2-n-1 hairstyle is breezy and stress free.
Heygorjess gives a dazzling demo on the 3 strand twistout.
Posted in Inspiration and Encouragement, Natural Hair Week In Review, Quick Styles
- Tagged Curls and Couture, Going Natural, Heygorjess, Honestly Erica, Juicesandberries, Natural Hair, Natural Hair Journey, Natural Hair Styles, Twist Out, Wash and Go
My transformation story has been 3 years in the making. I’m a runner. I won my first trophy at 8 years old. I ran Cross Country in high school and ran on my own in college. Right after college, I became a mom, three times over, back to back to back. Hence, the pic on the left. In 2013, my life flipped like a pancake. My husband and I decided that we had given our marriage all that we had, but it was not working. So we separated. One morning, I was about to have my daily pity party but I made up in my mind that ‘If I have the time to lie around thinking about what could’ve, should’ve, would’ve, then I have the time to put my shoes on and start walking….the pic of the right.
So this is the new me! I dropped 70 pounds but I didn’t lose my love for food. I run three to four times a week in training for my first marathon. My family is my heartbeat and my ultimate dream is to be a Fly Granny. Yes, grandmother! I have a while until that time, so until my grandbabies get here I’ll be doing all that I can to make sure that their granny is healthy, fit and fabulous!
NaturallyCurly teamed up with BlackGirlsRun to help us reach our fitness goals.
“Cooking is about building flavor” is sticky note worthy from Chef Danielle Saunders.
FusionofCultures applies a deep conditioner before giving her tresses a trim.
DiscoveringNatural demos big and small cornrows for kids.
As the presidential campaign rolls into its final days, our Natural Hair journey presses on.
The platform of our journey is acceptance. When we embrace our individual hair types and the struggles that come with being natural, we join thousands of other women on a fascinating path!
Detangle with MichelleB to restore order and lust. Michelle makes a surprising discovery about what her hair can do!
Moisturize with NICKYBNATURAL. She opts out of the familiar LOC method and uses the LCO way. Her five point “Things to Remember” list will help us stay moisturized.
Style with Praise Onaturals. She mixes and massages Argan oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Avocado Oil, and a leave in conditioner for shiny, killer curls.
Posted in Conditioning, Curls, Detangle, Inspiration and Encouragement, Moisturize, Natural Hair Week In Review, Styles
- Tagged How to detangle natural hair, How to moisturize natural hair, Michelle B, Natural Hair, Natural Hair Styles, NICKYBNATURAL, Praise Onaturals
On the night that I heard about Alton Sterling’s death, I cooked for my family like I hadn’t done in months….Steak, gravy with mushrooms, sweet potatoes, cabbage and rice. I aimed to fill their bellies with warmth and love.
Natural Hair Vlogger, Honestly Chic shares her quick, go-to healthy recipe that she cooks at least once a week. “I eat Salmon weekly because it has omega fatty acids which are great for the body and hair.”
Baked Salmon with Roasted Asparagus and Wild Rice Recipe
2lbs of Salmon or Wild Sockeye Salmon
1 Bunch of Asparagus
1 Box of Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice
¼ of Sliced Red Onion
1 Tablespoon of Capers
Old Bay Seasoning
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
2 Cooking glass dishes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice red onions into 2in slices.
- Place salmon in glass dish. Place red onions in salmon and in the dish.
- Follow the same steps with capers. Place capers in the salmon and in the dish.
- Season salmon with old bay season.
- Pour ¼ cup of water in dish and place salmon in the oven for 25 minutes without a cover.
- Cut the ends of asparagus in a diagonal manner.
- Place asparagus in a glass dish and lightly drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Lightly season asparagus with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Place asparagus in the oven for 20min.
- Follow the instructions on the Uncle Bens rice box. Place 2 ¼ cups of water in a pot, 1 tablespoon of butter and rice in the pot. Cook rice on medium heat until water is absorbed.
- Immediately remove the salmon from the oven after twenty-five minutes, place the salmon on a plate and serve with the asparagus and rice.
Melissa Denise shares her DIY hot oil treatment recipe and the benefits of adding h.o.t. to our hair regimen.
“Big Sis likes Big Hair.” DiscoveringNatural gives her take on how to create quick summer styles for kids.
Summer cocktails aren’t just for a Friday night out with the girls. Mo Knows Hair shows us how to treat our hair to a budget-friendly cocktail.
Summertime and weddings go hand in hand. BlakIzBeautyful demonstrates how to transform a twist-out into a cascading style that can be worn at a summer wedding or any formal event.
Posted in Bobby Pin Styling, Curls, DIY, Healthy Recipes, Inspiration and Encouragement, Natural Hair Week In Review, Quick Styles, Styles, Twists
- Tagged Baked Salmon Recipe, BlakIzBeautyful, DiscoveringNatural, DIY Hot Oil Treatment, Honestly Chic, Melissa Denise, Mo Knows Hair, Natural Hair Wedding Style, Natural Hair Week In Review, Summer Styles for Kids
Creative expressions flared across our Natural Hair community this week as vloggers used their talents to create, teach and inspire! Here’s a gallery of their artwork. Enjoy!
After three years, BlakIzBeautyful returns to one of her go-to styles for a flawless look.
Classy. Creative. Royal expressions from JourneyTo WaistLength.
Nappy Fu modifies the Hair Puff to help save edges.